Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Family Therapy 101

You know you're in an amazing class when the only thing you want to do when you get home is share the knowledge you just gained with anyone who will listen.

I'll assume you as a reader will listen ;)

In my Wednesday class I am in a Marriage and Family Counseling class. Let me tell you, this class is so informational, and hilariously enjoyable. Basically in a nut shell we talk about what a "healthy family" is, as well as dysfunctional families. The stories we hear about are so crazy sometimes, that you just can't help to think "wow my family is so not crazy!"

Anyways, today we were talking about divorce and how it is so easy to see when a marriage is about to corrupt and how it normally takes 6 years before a couple will honestly try to work on their marriage, and sad to say...it is far too late.

On the positive side, we talked about how to have a healthy marriage! Some pointers go as follows:
1. Define boundaries with the in-laws. Notice this is rule number one....this is also one of the number 1 reasons why couples divorce.
2. Define yourself as a couple, as well as find your own self. Having separate interests is important.
the list actually names 9 but my favorite and most important one is ... allow yourself to laugh with the one you love. For example, if your significant other tells a joke that they find extremely funny.... laugh also. Just because you're laughing doesn't mean you are laughing with them... you actually may be laughing AT them...This is okay, just don't tell them ;)

Or a common example people say is "if you mess it up enough times they won't ask you do to that specific thing anymore" I like that idea. If only M would think my back massages sucked so then I would never have to give another one again.

My professor said the most important rule though to a successful marriage is this:

·The innermost core of the relationship is by drawing sustenance and renewal from the images and fantasies of courtship and early marriage and maintaining that joyful glow over a lifetime. Intimacy is about narrowing the gap.You have to keep your emotional connection alive and well!


While I am by no means a psychotherapist yet, I thought I'd share some tips I recently learned! :)

-K