Sunday, May 22, 2011

Remember When....

I just got home from work and my mind is racing. It was such an emotional night, I sat in a 1:1 with a combative, confused, lost, anxious Russian woman who has Alzheimer's disease.

As many of you know, my favorite people I have ever met in my life are little old ladies and little old men who have dementia or Alzheimer's disease.... so my heart felt love goes deep for these people.

This patient not only was beyond confused, but had not a clue about the English language. She not only didn't know what I was saying or trying to say to her, but she didn't know what I was doing to her. In my mind I could only think of how scared she must be. We tried to have a translator talk to her but she was SO confused that it didn't help. The worst thing was, she had no family. (this breaks my heart)

While I continuously tried to help her and make her comfortable, change her brief, get blood or to even try to feed her I was getting my ass kicked. It took at times 3 to 4 nurses to help hold her arms down, to hold her legs down while she just sobbed and screamed. It was just heartbreaking....

I have such fond memories of the last 3 years that I have worked with the elderly, and can only smile with tears in my eyes of special memories with specific people. The joy that they brought to my life will always make a lasting impression.... I can only hope that someday I too can put that type of influence, impression, joy, and love into other people's lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLl8YdXv4R4&feature=related
This link is a short documentary Alzheimer's disease that I found and thought I'd share... let me warn you it is sad.

The disease is sad, any form of dementia is sad... but I truly believe they are the most special people in the world. I wish everyone could experience the different experiences I have with those types of people. You would learn so much, and how it truly is the simple things that matter most, so cherish them, they will be lasting memories.

With this being said I think Everyone needs to read the book called Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It is the greatest book I have yet to read. It is about a professor that is diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and what life is like from a person with Alzheimer's, it is such a great book. Grab some tissues because you will be balling.