Friday, May 27, 2011

Field of Dreams


For some, baseball season has just begun.

However that is not the case for my brother, or Mark.

My brother's senior year of high school baseball ended last night. I can only imagine how it felt for him to know his senior year of his favorite sport came to an end. Fortunately for him, he will be playing college baseball to continue on the journey playing his favorite sport. With that being said I'm sure it was still a surreal feeling.

Mark's season is coming to an end as well... senior year of college, senior year of baseball. I think when his season truly does end he will be very sad. I don't know what it is like to grow up playing baseball since you were a wee little guy playing baseball, to being a 22 year old college player who is "hanging" up the glove. I'm sure it will be emotional for him... his dream was to play baseball and college and he got that opportunity! Even though his college career wasn't always smooth sailing, he handled himself with so much dignity, and always was modest. With the past two years of ball not being at all what he had anticipated, or expected he has been so mature about the whole situation that I truly look up for him! ( Since he is so mature I will do all the Sh!t talking for him, I'm really good at that) ;) It's sad to see how we will say 'goodbye' to baseball here soon, and yes I say WE. I have been dating Mark for his whole college career. His freshman year I didn't miss a game, and only missed a few his sophomore year. Junior and Senior year I'd try to make it to every game possible. I hated to miss his games.... and him being a pitcher didn't mean I'd get to see him play in every game.... that didn't matter to my family or I we were just proud to show our support!


There is a joke between Mark and I for all the cold cold cold games I have been to, for all of the LONG long LONG car rides I have driven to see him... play...or better yet sit on the bench. The joke is that my diamond ring better be big.... cost ooddles and ooodles of money... so basically every time I frigidly shake while watching him play or not I increase the carat size of my diamond. This is all fun and jokes, because honestly I wouldn't miss a game of his for the world. Watching him and supporting him brings joy to myself, and I think he appreciates it.

Some of my favorite memories with Mark are at baseball games of his, with him and his teammates, and road trips to watch his games. I got the privilege of traveling far for his games, when they made it to the College World Series his freshman year I road tripped with his mom, dad, and sister. The joke from his little sister is that I "slept the whole way and only woke up once to take pictures!" His sophomore year I road tripped with my mom to the College World Series again, we had fun singing the whole way there and back, and just talking about life. Flying to Arizona with Mark's mom was fun, and extending our stay because of a winter storm was just fine with me. I will cherish the memories of watching Mark play, and can only hope he remembers and cherishes these college years.

As for my brother, he still gets to fulfill his dreams of playing ball. I can only wish, hope, and pray so much success for him! I wish him the best, and cannot WAIT to watch him play college baseball. I also believe he should be so proud of his hard work and dedication that has blessed him with this opportunity. I know my parents are extremely proud.

I wrote a poem for both Alex and Mark, let me warn you it is nothing special nor is it all that good, but I thought I would share it with you all!!!

Field of Dreams

As a young boy you are placed on a team

For the purpose of fulfilling every dad’s dreams

Standing in the field anxious as can be

Wishing “I hope the ball comes to me”

As the ball bounces over the glove

Proud moms and dads can only encourage with love

The years go by and teams come and go

The friendships you make will go far, everyone knows

Fields full of dreams, hoping to succeed

The passion of the game continues to proceed

With all the passion and goals of the game

Determination will create the next step in the game

Up to bat bases are loaded Tied for the championship game

Pressure is on, fans are cheering

All the adrenaline has got you fearing failure

All goes quiet as you make contact with the bat and the ball

Everyone’s watching as the ball goes over the wall

As you cross home plate off your grand slam

You look up in the stands and see your dad

Proud as can be with a smile on his face

You can only smile knowing you made him so proud

Times fly by and your off to college

Playing college ball was only a dream you had as a child

Great work ethic and determination

Lead you to that destination

Games won and games lost

The passion for the game never gets lost

Fields full of dreams

A team full of friends that now will become your family

Never forget them and never mistreat them

For everyone on the team has the same dream

Working together will create success

That’s when fields full of dreams become a reality everyone knows best

It all started out as a dads dream

To have a son play on a baseball team

Now it’s the boy who has accomplished the dad’s dreams

While creating his own while playing on a team

Baseball is forever and always

The memories will be cherished for the rest of your life